Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I traveled!!!


Hello hello everyone,

First let me start off by saying I am using my own computer!! I received my care package from my wonderful mom this week, and Steve made all of my adapters "idiot proof" by taping every hole and crevice accept the one I need to use for the wall and computer.

Anyways, this past weekend I went to GRANADA (grah-nah-dah) Aaaaaa it was amazing, however the weather was terrible. And I'm not complaining because like I said it was beautiful... but it was rainy and cold the whole time :( So what I'm going to take from that is this-- the "La Alhambra" in Granada is beautiful, wonderful, breath-taking etc etc... and if it is all of those things while I'm miserable-- then I can only imagine what it's like when the weather is perfect! A small definition for you, Alhambra is an ancient fortress in present day Granada. The city was built around this fortress. Granada was the last city to stand against the Catholics before it too fell to the throne.

After touring Alhambra we went to the Cathedral (La Catedral de Granada). This is the biggest church/cathedral I have entered! The grandure, the columns, everything was amazing. It's unbelievable to me that it was built hundreds of years ago. It is still in amazing shape, and there is no way that our technology today could produce the fine details that were in this building.

Next we went to a now museum, but what used to be part of the Catedral to see the tombs of Isabella and Ferdinado yes, as in who Christopher Columbus went to, to ask permission if they would fund his trip to the Indies (I think) .... and stumbled upon America!!! AAAAA that was amazing, there were tapestries, robes, CROWNS, swords... everything that you've seen in history books... it was there-- and I was looking at it with my own 2 little eyes!! And p.s I was not allowd to take picutes of any of it.. sorry.

So needless to say it was an eventful weekend, and now I have a soar throat :(, but the oranges here taste great and are all extra juicy so I should be fine. I also experienced my first hostel this weekend but it wasn't a "hard core" hostel because it is a company for internationals and I felt very very safe, and there was a breakfast (desayuno) provided as well. It was more like a dormitory for summer camp than a hostel.

What else... on Saturday night Andrea and I went out for tapas and cerveza. It was soooo tasty, you can order wine, beer, or a “sangriaesk” type of drink and along with your drink orders you get tapas--- for free!! I'm all about that in Europe :) Tapas are like finger foods, mini sandwiches, olives, sometimes a small pasta and most of the time chips or french fries-- delicious for starving girls on a budget!

I think that wraps up my weekend. But I did want to give you a sneak peak into the life of a Murcian in a grocery store. It's very similar to the states, but all of the Mercodonas are smaller and the meat departments are much more open-- so alot of the store smells like fish. You bag your own groceries, and you use these (I don't, I just manage and carry) little stroller looking things to lug your purchases around town. And they love their ham...I think I may have mentioned that in an earlier post... but everything here comes from pig. Me-- I buy my chicken :)

One more random thing-- I watched the inauguration in Spain! It brought tears to my eyes (which doesn't take much) and I was so proud to be an American here during such a historic time in the states. If I couldn't be on Pennsylvania Avenue-- I'm glad I was in another country! I think that is all I have for right now... and now that I have my own computer pictures are happening today! (as long as my wifi holds up)

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment